Blog: Meet Elizabeth Cook.
I am an American Board Certified Physician Assistant who specializes in both aesthetic medicine and medical dermatology. I am excited to be in the Netherlands to help bring a different perspective to the anti-aging market while learning new tips and techniques from Doctors around the world.
I perform a multitude of procedures to address signs of aging and keep patients looking their best at every stage of life. I am specialized at minimally invasive procedures including soft tissue fillers, neurotoxins (B0T0X) and laser procedures. My patients also come to me for non-surgical fat reduction (Kybella- Chin Contouring/Coolsculpting), non-invasive face and neck lifts (Ultherapy), laser for pigmentation (laser), collagen stimulation and anti- aging prevention (Chemical Peels and Skin Boosters) and cellulite reduction (Cellfina).
In addition to cosmetic procedures, I also practice medical dermatology and diagnose and treat conditions such as acne, eczema, rashes, psoriasis and other dermatoses.
I graduated from the University of Texas at Austin and received my Masters as a Physician Assistant from Midwestern University in Chicago. Physician assistants are licensed to prescribe medicine and diagnose and treat patients.
My husbands job brought us here to the Netherlands and I now work at Face & Body Boutique in Zuid Amsterdam while flying home to Chicago every three months to treat my patients at two clinics in Chicago.
> How did you start working in this business? What inspires you in your daily work life?
I always knew that I wanted to go into medicine and specifically dermatology. After I graduated from PA school, I immediately began training in injections and cosmetic dermatology. My patients inspire me in my daily work and make getting out of bed so enjoyable. I love the connections that I make with people every day. Unfortunately, our appearance can have such an impact on our daily life (work, love, etc) and I feel so lucky to help people regain their confidence to feel great about themselves.
> What do you get done yourself? Do you have an anti-ageing or skin care strategy?
What haven’t I done? It is important to try all the procedures so that it can be explained to patients properly and so that I know what they are going through.
I get B0T0X to my forehead every three months and I have had fillers in my cheeks. Botox is a neurotoxin that relaxes the muscles that create the wrinkles. Filler is a hyaluronic acid filler injection that creates volume. As I am getting older, my cheeks begin to sag so the filler gives a nice lift.
Skin care is extremely important and it is necessary to do collagen-stimulating treatments that will keep the skin from losing its structure. These include a daily skin care regimen, chemical peels, laser treatment and Skin Boosters. I do all of these different treatments at least every other month. It is like exercise for the skin!
> What do you do in your daily lifestyle that also prevents anti-aging and is part of your self-care routine?
- The number 1 prevention for aging is sunscreen!!! You need a sunscreen greater than 30 spf and it needs to be applied every two hours as the sun protecting properties begin to break down throughout the day. Sun in moderation is important and NEVER ever use a tanning bed!
- Skin lotions actually work; they are just not all created equal. Vitamin A creams that contain retinol are important to stimulate collagen. Face & Body Boutioque has a great line by Singuladerm that consists of peptides that hydrate the skin, act as anti-oxidants and stimulate elastin. I use the Singularderm “Sublime Serum” and “Expression cream.” I love a great hyaluronic acid serum to plump and moisturize the skin. I’m currently using one from Japan called “Hada Labo Rohto Gokujun Perfect Gel.”
- Sleeping on your back is necessary. Over time, stomach and side sleepers will begin to see more volume loss in their faces compared to back sleepers. I use a special pillow to help me stay on my back at night. A silk pillowcase is helpful as well and also keeps your hair nice and silky.
- I use: https://therapeuticainc.com/sleeping_pillow.html
- And you can try: http://nursejamie.com/beauty-bear-pillows
- A healthy lifestyle of eating right and exercising will also contribute to beautiful skin. A healthy diet with a lot of vegetables and enough water is important. I love the Barre classes at Studio 191 in de pijp for toning and the classes at clubsportive for cardio.
> What’s made the biggest difference for your skin and what would you recommend in your 20s, 30s and 40s?
Chemical Peels every 3 months has made a big difference for my skin. I use either a light fruit acid peel or a heavier TCA peel depending on my skin’s condition each time. It removes the dead skin cells and pigmentation, tightens the skin and provides an amazing glow.
The most important thing for 20 year olds is prevention. Sunscreen is extremely important and chemical peels can be helpful to brighten the skin and prevent acne. My 20-year-old patients also come in for subtle and naturallip filler injections.
Patients in their 30’s start to notice volume loss and that their skin is beginning to change and may not be the same as they were used to. They benefit from B0T0X, Hyaluronic acid fillers and/or Skin Boosters. Skin Boosters consist of a serum of various peptides, amino acids, vitamins and hyaluronic acid that is injected with a microneedling technique all over the face. This gives a refreshed and hydrated, amazing look.
People in their 40’s and 50’s begin to further notice collagen, elastin, bone and fat loss and can benefit from Ultherapy. Ultherapy is a non-surgical minimally invasive ultrasound skin tightening procedure. Ultherapy is both Jennifer Aniston and Christie Brinkley’s favorite procedure. I tried Ultherapy under my chin to tighten my neckline and it was outstanding.
All of these procedures are not only therapeutic but also preventative to the aging process. Face-lifts are becoming a thing of the past now that people know the importance of taking care of their skin.
> Tell us more about B0T0X and its benefit?
B0T0X is a very low dose of a purified protein that is injected into specific muscles on the face, which prevents contraction of the muscle. The actual mechanism of action is by blocking or reducing the release of a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine, which is required in order for the muscle to contract. Without acetylcholine, the muscle will not contract. If the muscle doesn’t contract, then it won’t be able to pull the attached, overlying skin into creases, which would result on your face as wrinkles. After injection, it takes 3-10 days to come into effect and lasts for 3-6 months.
B0T0X can be used to treat frown lines, forehead lines and wrinkles around the eyes. It’s even used for severe sweating and migraines. B0T0X is a great preventative and therapeutic procedure for wrinkles. If you start B0T0X before you have wrinkles, you will never get them!
> How much of what you offer at Face & Body Boutique is preventative? What’s the latest research/info on preventative/anti-aging skincare with regards to B0T0X/Fillers/etc.
Everything we offer at Face & Body Boutique is both therapeutic and preventative for the aging process. We offer
- B0T0X: Prevent and treat wrinkles on the forehead and around the eyes
- Fillers: Prevent and treat facial volume loss, also used for lip enhancement
- Skin Boosters: Stimulates collagen and hydrates the skin
- Chemical Peels: Stimulates collagen and treats hyperpigmentation and acne
- Laser: Stimulates collagen and treats hyperpigmentation
- Ultherapy: Stimulates collagen and elastin and tightens the skin
- Cellfina: Treats cellulite on the buttocks and thighs
We also offer B12 shots and Revive IV hydration treatments that are perfect after a really hard work out or a stressful week or too much fun at a festival.
> Do you feel that people are becoming more open to B0T0X, fillers, etc? Are people becoming more open to talking about it? Do we share it with our friends and colleagues?
I do believe that people are becoming more open to B0T0X and other aesthetic treatments as there is more access and education about the process. At first, B0T0X had a very negative connotation as it was obvious who had it done because it looked bad and fake. Some celebrities gave B0T0X and filler a bad reputation. Now, there are new techniques and products to minimize wrinkles and aging in a beautiful, natural and very subtle way. My goals in my consultations are to make patients understand that I will never change the way the look- they are beautiful they way they are and I am just there to enhance their best features.
I think sharing information about your aesthetic treatments is completely personal and up to each individual patient. I personally love talking about my own treatments and will tell my friends everything they want to know. However, I respect peoples’ decision to be private.
I would be happy to see anyone for a consultation to determine their individual skin treatment plan. I love what I do and education is a large part of that!
Get to know us
Please feel free to make an appointment with one of our practitioners using the options below. We are happy to help you with a personal treatment plan tailored to your wishes and aesthetic goals. We look forward to welcoming you!